Monday, September 21, 2009

McIntosh

1. "I can, if I wish, arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time."
- I'll start off with her first quote in her list. She is stating here that this is a privelage based on her skin color privelage. I actually disagree with this quote because I believe if anyone wants to arrange such a thing it is possible no matter what color or race you are. It isn't like skin color white is 99% of the U.S. population, because we are now a very diverse country. So I think no matter your skin color if you want to arrange to be in company of your own race, by all means this is a good possibility.

2. "I can go shopping alone most of the time, pretty well assured that I will not be followed or harassed."
- This quote I absolutely agree with. I mean if you think of it a lot of people base the thefts and problems on skin color. For the most part they do not relay it to white people. Normally people tend to think of it as a colored person even though they have no idea. They jump to conclusions because that is how our society works, unfortunately. It is true though, that a white person is less likely to be followed around, because the workers feel they are not as big of a threat. Although, anything could happen so everyone should be treated equally.

3. "I can criticize our government and talk about how much I fear its policies and behavior without being seen as a cultural outsider."
- This is true. A colored person could be more into our government than I am, and know a ton more than I do about it. I'm a white person though so they would take my argument as a valid one and agree that many people have had that argument before. If you are a person of color they might state you are just saying that because you don't know much about the U.S. government because you are of a different color. They might disagree with you and tell you that you're wrong and don't know what your talking about. Although, in reality they could know more than any of the white people, but most people won't seem to admit it.

- The thing I really liked what McIntosh said was on page 2 when she was referring to men having privilege. She said that most of the oppressiveness was unconscious, and I agree totally with that. Whether it has to do with sex, race, or color we were all brought up a certain way. Referring to the male oppressiveness we were all brought up learing certain ways we were supposed to act or think. So it all just comes naturally now and we do have the stuff in our life unconsciously because it just comes as second nature to us. Yes we have been doing that our whole lives but we should try to change it.

- Trying to change this may take a while, and obviously longer for some other than others. It can be done with the men, or the whites, or any other way that the society is not acting equal. You just have to put your mind to it. Although it goes back to Johnson stating "we are all part of the problem." Which goes perfectly here, because no one is really willing to try and fix anything because we all think its fine. Like some people say "if it isn't broke, don't fix it." and that is what a lot of us are thinking. If we try to fix it, it will be a whole new beginning it's like going back to step one and everyone in society is scared of change.

3 comments:

  1. Wow I really feel like I'm not writing enough after I've looked at everyone else's blogs but it said that they were informal and not to exceed 500 words... I believe that it is broken and we do need to fix it. We only believe that it's not broken because we're oblivious to all the privileges we really receive and yes it may take a while but I really don't believe that it would cause us to take a step back in society. Like you said, we are all afraid of change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good post, we chose the same quote about criticizing government. I believe this was an important point because this topic comes up nearly daily on the national news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really excellent connection to Johnson. I wonder about what you say about the first quote though. What does it mean to choose to be in the company of those like you? For example, any Black person or Latino who goes to RIC doesn't get to choose to be with people who are of his same race anytime he wants to. Whenever he goes to class, he will always be one of very few. And yet, white people ALWAYS get to be around people who look like them in college. What do you think about that example?

    ReplyDelete