Monday, October 12, 2009

Christensen- Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us

1. "A Black Cinderella? Give me a break. She wrote: Have you ever seen a Black person, an Asian, a Hispanic in a cartoon? Did they have a leading role or were they a servant? What do you think this is doing to you child's mind?...Women who aren't white begin to feel left out and ugly because they never get to play the princess."

I always grew up watching cartoons just like every other kid I assume, and never remember any disney characters or main ones at least that are black. This is so true and a lot of children don't notice this I'm sure because I never did myself. Now that I go back and think about it though that is not right at all. All kids growing up must think oh it is just typical for characters or princesses are supposed to be white. Which makes them think it must be right to be white and of no other race which is obviously innacurate. Everyone is created equal and I think the shows on television should have diversity with their characters. Like I said though I never noticed it, and maybe they think children won't notice it.

2. "When we read children's books, we aren't just reading cute little stories, we are discovering the tools with which a young society is manipulated."

I have read many children books and I always read stuff about young white people. All the covers of the books were middle aged white children that are playing sports or doing well in society. Although I have read other books and if it were about young black kids it was how they struggled in life or how they were in trouble in their neighborhoods or schools. It was completely one sided to white kids and that is how children are manipulated. Like I have seen in pretty much all of my blogs that I have never realized these things until reading these stories, and once again it occurs with this quote.

3. "I've discovered that I need to keep my mouth shut for while. If I'm the one pointing out the stereotypes, it's the kiss of death to the exercise. Besides, students are quick to find the usual stereotypes on their own."

This is very true that students are quick to find the stereotypes on their own. I've noticed this throughout my life in public shools. Kids have been sheltered their whole lives from stereotyping so when they get to high school they try to figure out the "groups" and stereotypes. It's society some kids will do it and others wont, that's just how it works. It isn't right to do this but no matter what we say certain people are going to do it and this should not happen.

1 comment:

  1. I really like the second quote you choose to use because it's all too true that society has a way of manipulating us, most of the time without us even knowing...

    ReplyDelete